In conjunction with the new Star Wars film, Discovery Times Square has a new exhibition displaying many of the iconic props and costumes from the seven blockbuster films. After viewing the show, one really understands how detailed costumes elevate the franchise.
There are many displays with the characters (well, faceless mannequins in costumes) in various poses. All 60 costumes are the original ones used in the movies. Near each display there are descriptions of how the costumes were imagined, designed and made, along with quotes from various people who worked on creating them. On nearby tablets, one can see early drawings of the sartorial concepts.
Some of the items and costumes I enjoyed seeing were:
- Darth Maul (complete with face paint) in battle with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. The wall is this space mimics Maul’s face paint and provides a cool background for the display.
- Mace Windu facing off with Darth Sidious
- R2-D2 and C-3PO next to the new BB-8
- A whole room about Queen Amidala’s outfits (ALL OF THEM) with a video clip of Natalie Portman
- An area with many Stormtrooper helmets, with mirrors to enhance the effect
- Weapons-Blasters to lightsabers (with everything else to boot). Understandably Jango Fett and Boba Fett stand in the center of this room.
- Han Solo in Carbonite
- One room designed as Tatooine
- Han and Chewbacca, from the original trilogy
- Yoda, surrounded by his timeless quotes
- Darth Vader, with his ominous presence
- The last room, dedicated to episode VII, showing both the heroes and villains of the new movie
At the end of the exhibit you can stand behind a screen which pastes a costume (of a Stormtrooper, C3PO or Darth Vader) over you and you can pose however you’d like.
While I think there was too much space dedicated to Amidala (including a room where she is lying in a casket), I still recommend the exhibit to any avid Star Wars fan. As they say, “the clothes make the man.” That’s certainly true about George Lucas’ Star Wars characters.
The exhibit runs until September 5th. Harness the Force and go visit Discovery Times Square.