By Rachel M.
Saatchi Art’s The Other Art Fair (“The Fair”), an international art fair championing emerging and independent contemporary artists, returns to the Brooklyn Expo Center in Greenpoint this weekend, November 8-11. The Fair showcases the work of 130+ local and international artists across a range of mediums, including sculpture, paintings, photography and more. Unlike exhibitors of traditional art fairs, which are typically comprised of galleries representing artists, The Other Art Fair’s exhibitors are the artists themselves, giving buyers unparalleled direct access to meet artists and learn about their work firsthand. The artists showcased (whose work can be seen at www.saatchiart.com/theotherartfair/newyork-nov-2018) are chosen by a panel of art world experts and tastemakers to ensure attendees have the chance to encounter works of an exceptionally high caliber. In seven years, The Other Art Fair has hosted 30 fairs working with over 3,000 artists from more than 20 countries.
This edition is also proud to introduce Brooklyn-based multimedia and Emmy-winning artist Mike Perry as its Guest Artist. Perry is a Brooklyn-based artist, as well as the mastermind behind the animated titles of Comedy Central’s hit television show, Broad City. Perry will present a limited edition print sold exclusively onsite throughout the weekend, in support of Free Arts NYC, the official non-profit partner of The Other Art Fair Brooklyn, which is an organization that empowers underserved youth through art and mentoring programs to develop their creativity, confidence, and skills to succeed.
“Meeting artists in person is a meaningful way for new buyers to begin their art collecting journey,” said Rebecca Wilson, Chief Curator of Saatchi Art. “The Other Art Fair creates a relaxed environment that makes discovering and investing in art an enjoyable experience. We also have very knowledgeable curators present throughout the weekend to offer complimentary guided tours and advice on where to begin when looking for art.” The Saatchi Art Talks Program, led by Saatchi Art’s Chief Curator and Selection Committee member Rebecca Wilson, will be hosted in the Saatchi Art Lounge at The Fair. In this engaging program, artists, collectors and cultural influencers will gather to discuss a range of topics relating to the emerging art scene and design, including a discussion on investing in art under $1,000.
The fair also includes:
• The Sketchbook Project, which is an independent Brooklyn-based company that organizes global, collaborative art projects. Our flagship endeavor is a crowd-sourced library that features 36,347 artists’ books contributed by creative people from 135+ countries. Brooklyn Art Library is our storefront exhibition space in the heart of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY where The Sketchbook Project collection is on view to the public.
• The Illustration Corner, Presented by Moleskine, a brand new interactive project space presented by Moleskine. Each day will feature an ‘illustrator-in-residence’ who will give visitors the opportunity to get involved with their unique drop in, workshop-style illustration projects.
• The Don Julio Bar, with Mexico’s No. 1 premium tequila, that was founded by Julio González who started his journey in 1942.
• Quoted Magazine has a welcoming picnic area adorned with a turf carpet and faux vines. They’ll have wooden picnic baskets containing the magazines for guests to look through. Quoted will also invite guests to write their own love letter to New York to “send” out in the Quoted mailbox. Artist Chris Pyrate will produce a painting live in their space as a celebrate New York’s creative energy. The new issue will also be available for purchase at the booth.
• The Others Live program presents a variety of DJ sets and music performances, curated by Theodore Jahng.
• Younger visitors can unleash their artistic flair and explore the Fair with The Little Art Pages creative children’s newspaper. (Children under 16-years enjoy complimentary entry to the Fair and must be accompanied by an adult.)
To learn more about The Other Art Fair Brooklyn or to purchase tickets, visit nyc.theotherartfair.com. Leading online art gallery Saatchi Art features one of the world’s largest selections of original art and helps people all over the world find art and artists they love. The online art gallery offers original paintings, drawings, sculptures and photographs by over 110,000 emerging artists from over 100 countries. To learn more, visit www.saatchiart.com.