Drop the Mic premieres October 24th, 10:30pm on TBS.
Following the trend of real TV shows stemmed from talk show bits (Lip Sync Battle, Carpool Karaoke) comes Drop the Mic, TBS’s celebrity rap battle contest based on the popular segment from The Late Late Show with James Corden.
Normally I’d critique a program like this. I’m no fan of unoriginality, but the concept is really fun. Entertainment fans will love the chance to see their favorite stars go after each other’s flaws in jest.
The one area the show is lacking in are the hosts. Method Man and Hailey Baldwin aren’t big draws, but I suppose it’s the best the network could get. Still, their chemistry is pretty awkward and they aren’t funny. Thankfully this is not a major issue, as each episode really belongs to the contestants.
Each week Drop the Mic pits four stars from the worlds of entertainment, music, sports and pop culture to face off against each other in a rap battle royale. I’m assuming the celebs don’t write the lines themselves (I just can’t see Rob Gronkowski rhyming) but it’s still cool to watch Vanessa Hudgens and James Van Der Beek deliver a savage insult. At the end of each head-to-head battle, the studio audience votes to determine the winner.
Take a look at the line-up so far, with plenty to be announced:
- Anthony Anderson vs. Usher
- Mayim Bialik vs. Kunal Nayyar
- James Corden vs. Nicole Richie
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson vs. Chrissy Metz
- Gina Rodriguez vs. Rob Gronkowski
- Tony Hale vs. Timothy Simons
- Chris Jericho vs. Laila Ali
- Michael Bennett vs. Vanessa Hudgens
- David Arquette vs. Brian Tyree Henry
- Nicole Scherzinger vs. Lil’ Rel Howery
- James Van Der Beek vs. Randall Park
- Rascal Flatts vs. Boyz II Men